Friday, July 27, 2012

There's Always More to Learn

Yesterday, I taught a seaming class to a group of 7 eager knitters.  Most of them were there because they had had bad finishing experiences in the past and really wanted to know how to solve their problems.  They were definitely of the opinion that, "If it's worth doing, it's worth doing well."

As I tried to squeeze as much as possible into two short hours, I heard comments about how much there was to learn about the topic and how many different ways there are to get the job done.  Since I am in the midst of putting together several more hours of finishing classes, this was good to hear. 

And, unfortunately, it is the opposite of what the general public thinks about knitting.  The public seems to think that if you can knit, purl, cast on and off, you know everything there is to know about knitting.  This is actually pretty sad, because they really don't have a clue about what they are missing. 

Maybe I'm just a slow learner, but I feel like there is no end to what I can learn about knitting.  There are so many different techniques, yarns, colours, stitch patterns and projects around that can then be recombined into new ideas ...that it just boggles my mind.  And that's just one of many things I love about this great art!

No comments:

Post a Comment