Saturday, July 14, 2012

How do you eat an elephant?

Hmmmmm ...maybe it's because there's a monumental elephant statue across from the shop that I've been using the phrase, "One bite at a time," a lot lately.

It started with the goal of clearing up piles of paper.  You know the kind ...knitting patterns.  I've been sticking them into page protectors and sorting them into binders for three weeks now ...and I've made sure to do a bit every day.  And I can see progress.

And then there's the 60-80 hour lace shawl project that I'd sure like completed by late August; and the samples for an upcoming class; and ...and ...and....  I just keep reminding myself, "One bite at a time."

While talking with a customer the other day, she complained that she didn't have time to knit because of her gardening.  She was just too tired at the end of the day to knit for her usual few hours.  I suggested my one bite at a time approach. When sitting to take a break, she might find that ten minutes of knitting can really add up.  And, anyway ...it is physically better for us to take breaks while knitting. 

She smiled and I could see the excitement in her eyes.  After all, is there anything better than playing hooky from chores, with your feet up, a favourite beverage at your side, and knitting in your lap?

1 comment:

  1. I've been doing the one step at a time this week so know exactly what you mean!

    ReplyDelete