Saturday, December 19, 2009

Jumbo Scarf on Local TV







Well, the Jumbo scarf and I are now "famous". Or at least we both made an appearance on the live local Rogers TV show called Inside Elgin last Tuesday.

Our spot was about 8 minutes long divided by a commercial break. In the first half, the interviewer and I talked about the 50 foot scarf that Jumbo now sports, the wonderful people who helped knit it and how I got so involved with knitting that I'd open a yarn shop.

In the second segment, the interviewer pretended to have never "corked" and had me teach him. He was so focussed on the corking that he barely remembered to ask questions! When my tv debut was over, we were given a DVD of the show. It was a little disconcerting to watch myself - is that really what I'm like?!?!?!

In case you are coming to the Jumbo Scarf story a little late, we began knitting the scarf for World Wide Knit-in-Public Day in June 2009. Men, children and ladies of all ages worked on the project. Some really dedicated knitters took a ball of yarn and some needles home and returned with a completed section.
A big thank you goes out to all who helped.
In other local and monumental news, Jumbo is in need of some major repair work ...or is that surgery? The plan is to cover him with a tarp this winter. At the city council meeting, the Parks Director was hopeful that the scarf would be tied around the outside of the tarp. Sounds like our knitting has caught the attention of the powers-that-be. Cool.



No comments:

Post a Comment